1. Fish 500 grams (I am using Tilapia)
2. Poppy seed(Posto) 3 tbs
3. Mustard seed 2 tbs
4. Garlic 2 clove
5. Onion 1/2 cup (cut into juliennes)
6. Tomatoes 2 ( cut into juliennes)
7. Dry red chili 1
8. Green chili 2
9. Salt to taste
10. Turmeric powder 1 tsp
11. Cooking oil (as per requirement)
1. Wash the fish and marinade it with salt to taste and 1/2 tsp of turmeric. keep it aside.
2. In a pan take 5 tbs of oil and shallow fry the fish till they turn golden brown from both the sides.
(Depending on type of fish, choose the way of frying deep or shallow)
3. Next make a fine paste of poppy seed, mustard seed, garlic and dry red chili.
(While using black mustard seed strain the paste using a sieve to avoid the bitter taste of mustard)
4. Now in a pan take 2 tbs of oil, add green chili and onion, cook the onion till they turn golden brown, now add the tomatoes and cook them till they are completely cooked.
5. Add the poppy seed paste and 1/2 cup of water (so the paste doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan), add salt to taste and turmeric powder.
6. Cover it and cook for at least 15 -20 min on low to medium flame or till the raw smell of the poppy seed and mustard seed are gone. Stir occasionally and add water if needed.
7. Now add the fried fish and cook for 5 more minutes.
8. Decide for the required amount of gravy and cook accordingly.
9. Serve hot with steamed rice and enjoy.
-Fish to use- You can use Hilsa(ilish), Rohu, or Tilapia(which is boneless). All of them tastes great.