1. Chicken 1 kg (cut in pieces)
2. Onion 2 cups (cut into slices)
3. Ginger paste 2 tbs
4. Garlic paste 2 tbs
5. Red chili paste 1/2 tbs
6. Bay leaves 2
7. Cumin seed 1 tsp
8. Salt to taste
9. Turmeric powder 2 tsp
10. Chicken powder 2 tsp
11. Coriander powder 2 tsp
12. Cardamom powder 1/2 tsp
13. Cinnamon powder 1/2 tsp
14. Mustard oil 4 tbs
15. Potatoes 2 (diced) Optional
1. Wash the chicken and marinade with salt to taste, 1 tsp of turmeric powder and 1 tbs of mustard oil, keep it covered for 1 hour.
2. Now in a pan take 2 tbs of oil add onion slices fry on medium to high heat till they turn brown and crisp, take care not to burn or over cook. Keep them aside to cool and grind to make fine paste.
3. Take 1 tbs of oil in pan add cumin seeds and bay leaves, saute for a second now add the ginger garlic paste and cook for 3-4 minutes till the raw smell is gone.
4. Now add the fried onion paste that you made earlier, with it add red chili paste cook for 2-3 minutes on medium to high heat.
5. Now add salt to taste (some salt is already added in the chicken), 1 tsp of turmeric powder, coriander powder. Cook for 1 minute.
6. Add chicken and potatoes, cook it on medium to low heat for 15 to 20 minutes or till the chicken is cooked from inside. Add the chicken powder meanwhile. Cover if needed.
7. Don't add water, stir chicken continuously so it doesn't stick to the bottom. If you see water is released by the chicken then turn the gas to high to medium heat, till water is evaporated.
8. Fry the chicken with all the spices and when done add 1 tsp of cinnamon and cardamom powder. Turn off the gas and cover it for 15-20 minutes, so that the flavors of cinnamon and cardamom powder are absorbed in the curry.
9. Serve hot with rice or chapati.