Mini Idli (Use mini idli stand)
1. White urad dal or urad lentil 2 cups (soaked in water 6-8 hours)
2. Idli rice 1 cup (soaked in water 6-8 hours)
3. Fenugreek seed 1/2 tbs
4. Salt to taste
Dal (lentil) chutney
1. Chana dal 1 cup
2. Plain curd 1/2 cup
3. Ginger small piece
4. Green chili 2
5. Salt to taste
1. Cooking oil 1 tbs
2. Mustard seed 1 tsp
3. Asafoetida ( a pinch)
4. Dry red chili 2
5. Curry leaves 5-6
1. Soak the urad dal and rice in water for 6-8 hours.
(There are different methods to make idli, you can also use 2 cups of rice with 1 cup of urad dal)
2. After 6-8 hours grind the soaked rice and urad dal , without water.
3. Add 1 tbs of fenugreek seed powder to the thick batter. Keep the batter in a warm place covered for 7-8 hours for fermentation.
4. After the batter is ready, scoop the batter into the mini idli maker stand (idli making mould).
5. Boil water in a pressure cooker, and place the idlis to steam.
6. Steam for 15-20 minutes on medium heat.
7. Turn off the heat, take out the idlis and keep them aside.
1. Roast the chana dal on medium heat, take care not to burn the lentils.
2. Now soak the roasted chana dal in water for 30-45 minutes.
3. After 45 minutes in a grinder/blender take chana dal, curd, ginger, green chili and salt to taste.
4. Now grind/blend all the ingredients to paste, add water as need.
5. Take out in a bowl and keep aside.
1. In a pan heat 1 tbs oil, add asafoetida, mustard seed, dry red chili and curry leaves.
2. When the mustard seeds splutters, pour the tempering to the chutney and mix.
3. Serve with idlis and enjoy.