Food that helps to gain weight | How to gain weight | Calories and weight gain
While weight loss is a great deal for many people, gaining weight is another challenge for many others. Before I write about food that helps to gain weight, let's learn about a few reasons why skinny people find it difficult to gain weight. We will also learn how diet and workout can help us healthily gain more weight. Just believe in yourself and have patience, don't get depressed. So here are a few reasons for us not to put on weight.
1. Your body metabolism (Metabolic rate)
2. Genetic Influence
3. Hormones (hyperthyroidism)
4. Chronic stress and Depression
5. Not taking enough calories
6. More physical activities
7. Skipping dinner
8. Avoiding Snacks
9. Certain medical condition
10. Improper sleeping habits
11. Poor absorption of the food
Though food plays an essential role in weight gain, it is also equally necessary to go through a complete medical checkup and consult the health care provider before making any diet and lifestyle changes. A proper medical checkup can let you know about the underlying causes or any other medical condition that is restricting the weight gain. If everything looks good, go for a high calorie, high protein food, and maintain a disciplined lifestyle to gain weight healthily.
Food that helps to gain weight
Our everyday diet consists of Macronutrients (Carbohydrate, Protein, Fats) and Micronutrients (Vitamins, Minerals) and Non-nutrients (water)
1. Carbohydrates - Can be divided into Simple and Complex carbs. The complex carbohydrates are difficult to digest. Thus the food won't pass through your digestive system quickly. Including complex carbs to your healthy, diet can be an excellent step for weight gain. Foods that are rich in these carbs are,
- Whole wheat (flour, pasta, bread, semolina)
- Brown Rice
- Oatmeals (rolled, steel-cut)
- Multigrain (cereal, flour)
- Lentils (white & brown chickpeas, legumes)
- Sweet potatoes
- Green peas
2. Proteins - Proteins are known to help in the muscle build up, and one of the most favorite way of weight gaining method suggested by the gym instructors. Many people believe a high protein, healthy fat diet, and routine workout can help in gaining healthy weight. Foods that are rich in proteins are,
- Chicken breast
- Fish (salmon, tilapia)
- Cottage cheese (Paneer)
- Soy Chunks
- Pumpkin seeds
- Nuts (walnut, almonds)
- Fresh yogurt
3. Fats - Fats are essential for our body; they not only store energy and protect our vital organs but also act as messengers that help to regulate proteins. Healthy fats are also known to aid in weight gain. Foods that are rich in healthy fats are,
- Nuts (almonds, walnuts, peanuts, cashews)
- Olive oil
- Coconut oil
- Salmon fish
- Egg Yellow
- Clarified butter
- Dark Chocolate
Micronutrients are equally necessary for our body to gain or lose weight. Add as many as fruits and vegetables to your diet; this will help to make your food full of vitamins and minerals. Few reasons to add plenty of micronutrients to our balanced diet are,
- Help to boost our immune system.
- Healthy digestion.
- Healthy metabolism
- Vital for growth
- Brain Development
- Other important body functions
Water is essential for weight gain as well as weight loss. Few reasons why we should drink more water.
- Water helps to break down the food properly inside our body.
- Flushes out toxins
- Provides energy to the muscles
- Keeps the body hydrated.
Few things to know before you make changes to your diet.
1. Healthy Calories - We know that adding extra calories to our diet can help us gain weight, but remember to add healthy calories instead of empty calories. Eat more whole grains, eggs, healthy fats (nuts, fatty fish) whole fruits, lentils, etc. avoid eating more of fried food, refined flour, table sugar, table salt, carbonated water, preserved juice, and frozen foods, etc.
2. Adding proteins - Take some amount of protein in your daily diet, add fish, eggs (more of whites), soy chunks, paneer (cottage cheese), tofu, etc. Or add beans in your everyday meal, including beans, lentils, etc.
3. Take small meals - Instead of eating two to three large meals, go for frequent small meals. This will help to eat more amount of food in a day. Keep on munching healthy snacks, and take a good substantial dinner (Include whole food)
4. The right amount of Sleep - Sleep is a significant factor in our health, whether you want to lose weight or gain weight. Many pieces of research show that an inadequate amount of sleep can affect our body weight.
5. Depression and chronic stress - Depression can cause weight loss in many cases. So make sure if you are going through any mental anxiety and depression, consult your health care provider and seek medical attention.
Indian Foods that are healthy for us -
1. Vermicilli (seveiya)
2. Semolina (sooji)
3. Flat Rice (poha)
4. Mango (aam)
5. Basmati Rice
7. Soy Chunks (soya badi)
Cooked Foods Include
1. Dosa, Idli, Vada
2. Mixed dal Tadka
3. Mixed Vegetable Curry
4. Fish Curry
5. Mix veg Fried rice
6. Lentil & vegetable curry
7. Kheer (rice pudding)
9. Mixed fruit custard
10. Ghee rice
*Disclaimer- This article is written to provide only information and general idea.
This article should not be used, to diagnose or treat any medical condition.
Please consult your healthcare provider before any diagnosis, treatment or medication.